Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's August!!!

August 1st is here.  The principal's and building secretaries are back; however, I saw so much of the principal's during July that it seemed like they never had any time off.  I am fortunate to be working with such dedicated administrators.  They truly care about the success of each student.  We met today as an administrative team to finalize plans for the start of the year.  We also spent time discussing student learning in our district and began our discussions on things we will focus on to make sure every student is learning at the highest level possible.  After our meeting, I spent some time reflecting on how it went and I have to say I was very pleased with our focus on student learning and I am confident I am working with the right team to make a difference for every student in New Hampton.

I spent some time this evening preparing my presentation for the teacher in-service days that are coming up before school starts.  As I was working, I came across a couple of videos that have been around awhile.  You may have seen them before, but I think these are worth seeing again.  They are both a part of the Did You Know series that was created by Karl Fisch, Scott McLeod and others over the years.  The first one is focused on Iowa.



I believe technology has changed our world and has the power to change education.  However, before we embark on a technology initiative, we need to make sure we are actually changing what we are doing.  We need to help our children become thinkers and problem-solvers.  In addition, we need to make sure they have the skills necessary to work with others.  I will have a series of community meetings coming up during the first semester of the year.  I hope you will attend one of them to share your thoughts on education and where you believe the New Hampton District should be heading in the future.

Here's the latest version of the "Did You Know?" video.  It takes a more national view.




Thanks for stopping by.  If you have any questions or comments on either of these videos or anything related to the New Hampton District, please feel free to stop by, email, or give me a call.